Getting a white smile is becoming the norm. It wasn’t the case just a few years ago and this trend can be linked to Hollywood celebrities. Remember the last time you saw a celebrity pose on the red carpet or sticking a pose for a blockbuster cover?
The white, straight smile you see tops the reason a white smile is often referred to as a Hollywood smile.
The Hollywood smile is greatly sought after now more than ever before and the reason is not far-fetched. Previously, only the rich could afford to get such a procedure done but now, a lot has changed. What was pricey and out of reach is now very affordable and easy to find.
Also, people are getting more and more conscious of their smile and how to improve it. One thing is important to note – getting a white, straight smile is awesome. But it is not enough. It also needs to be healthy. So instead of focusing on a straight white smile, the focus should be on a straight, white and healthy smile.
Getting a straight, white healthy smile connotes high self-esteem, confidence and prestige. The same type Hollywood celebrities are often associated with.
People with straight white teeth are perceived as being smarter, and more successful in terms of romance and their careers.
Studies have shown that a bright, white smile can make you look younger. Also, when you have a beautiful, white smile, others tend to focus on that feature so they don’t see your wrinkles or frown lines, leading to an overall more youthful appearance.
A white smile can also be a healthy one
The first step here is to highlight what a healthy smile is. A healthy white smile means the gum and teeth are in great shape. It is important to note that not all white smiles are healthy smiles. Using DIY (Do it Yourself) methods or using homemade remedies might look good—but may not be great for your gums.
In using DIY methods, you must ask yourself, is the colour of your smile more important than the health of your smile? If your answer is NO, then you should consult a dentist. Only a dentist can ensure the health of your teeth and gums.
Is having a white smile backed by research?
According to recent researches:
- Canada ranks above the United States in this area of its healthcare provisions.
- There are also studies and reports that showcase its population’s teeth as some of the whitest and straightest in the world.
- Globally, the teeth whitening market is expected to grow by a compound annual growth rate of over 4% (Arizton, 2019)
- About 9% have had it in the last year alone.
- In the past year, most Canadians have seen a dental professional (74.7%), however, 22.4% avoided going at least once because of the cost.
How to maintain a white, healthy smile
So how do you maintain a healthy smile? The answer is simple – ensure you have healthy teeth and gums. Next, follow the steps below:
- Brushing our teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste for two minutes. This is best done the last thing at night and one other time during the day.
- Cleaning in between our teeth daily with interdental brushes or floss.
- Using mouthwash daily.
- Chewing sugar-free gum in between meals.
- Cutting down how much sugar we have, and how often we have it and keeping sugar consumption to mealtimes.
- Visiting your dentist as often as they recommend.
Contact us today to schedule your checkup or any other dental procedure you might be in need of.